Extra help


Get help with housing

Finding the right place to live is important when moving to a new area, but is not always easy.
Waltham Forest has a mix of accommodation including

  • council housing
  • private rented properties
  • owner-occupied homes

If you need help finding a home, or you want to know more about housing in Waltham Forest, including your rights as a tenant or landlord

If you are threatened with homelessness or think you might become homeless, don’t wait, seek housing advice and assistance from our Homelessness Team at the earliest opportunity.

In an emergency, you can contact Waltham Forest Council’s housing team

  • Call 020 8496 4197 8am to 6pm
  • or 020 8226 2631 6pm to 8am


Local housing forums are a great way to meet other tenants and have your say on housing issues in Waltham Forest. 

For more information


Claiming benefits 

There are many benefits and allowances in the UK, some managed by central government and others by the local council.

Government benefits include 

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

How ever not everyone is eligible.

Local councils manage

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support 

Which help people who are struggling to pay rent or Council Tax.


Find a food or baby bank

There are several food banks within the borough as well as cheap or free lunch clubs.

Local food banks and lunch clubs

Baby bank

The Lloyd Park Charity runs a baby bank providing free baby essentials like nappies, clothes and equipment. 


Look for a job or improve your skills

Waltham Forest is growing, with new jobs are being created all the time.

Whether you’re looking for a job or want to learn new skills, there’s advice and support on hand.

Think Work Progress is a free service that will work with you to make a jobs and skills plan.

If you’re unemployed, Steps into Work can help with writing a CV, interview practice, training and job searches.

If you want to learn a new skill or get better at something, there are adult learning and work-based training courses all over Waltham Forest.

To look for a job you can visit your local Jobcentre Plus.

Waltham Forest Council is one of the biggest employers in the area.

Or follow the council on Twitter

  • @wfcouncil_jobs


Get help to live independently

If you think you need support to live independently, whether that’s because you’re getting older or because you have a health condition or disability, there is help available.

Waltham Forest’s adult social care team help with tasks like cooking and shopping, and can provide equipment to help people stay independent.

The service can also help if you are

  • caring for someone
  • think another person is at risk from harm
  • or if you are being mistreated or abused yourself

Find out more information on how the adult social care team can help 

In an emergency, contact

  • The Safeguarding Adults team
  • Call 020 8496 3000


Get mental health support

Whether you have a long term mental health condition and need to find services locally, are feeling low or worried for the first time about your mental health there’s help available here in Waltham Forest. 

For general information about NHS adult mental health services and  local support 

For details of other adult mental health support in Waltham Forest

The Child and Family Consultation Service (CFCS) provides specialist mental health support locally to children, young people and their families.

Lend a helping hand 

If you’ve experienced mental health problems, why not become one of Waltham Forest’s Time to Change champions and help people to think and act more positively about mental health.


Report anti-social behaviour or crime

Anti-social behaviour and crime can have a big impact on our quality of life.

There’s a lot going on in Waltham Forest to tackle anti-social behaviour and crime including youth violence, gangs, and violence against women and girls.

For more information about to report crime 

If you or someone you know has been a victim of crime and needs help,

Remember, if a crime is being committed and someone’s life is in danger, call 999 and ask for the police.

Safer neighbourhoods

Waltham Forest has a safer neighbourhood board, giving people a chance to have their say on anti-social behaviour and crime. 

To attend a meeting or to find out more contact


Get help in your local area

Waltham Forest has a network of local area coordinators who support older people, carers or people with a disability or mental health problems.

If you’ve just arrived in the area, local area coordinators can help you make friends and settle into the neighbourhood. 

They can also help you stay safe and independent, by putting you in touch with organisations near you.