Children, young people and families


Find a Children and Family Centre

Children and Family Centres offer activities as well as services and support for families with children under five. 

There are four Children and Family Centres in Waltham Forest in Chingford, Leyton, Leytonstone and Walthamstow.

There’s no need to make an appointment, just come along.


Find activities for children, young people and families

For families with young children, the Lloyd Park Children’s Charity runs events and regular activities.

It’s also worth checking out websites like families online and days out with the kids for things to do near you:

Children and young people aged between 11 and 19 can get information on Waltham Forest’s many cafes and restaurants, leisure centres, parks, museums and creative arts venues.

Waltham Forest run a wide variety of events all year round 

During the Easter and summer school holidays, Waltham Forest Council runs activities and events for children and young people, including free sessions for 5 to 19-year olds. 


Contact a health visitor

The local Health Visitor service can help with a range of issues, from breastfeeding and nutrition to immunisations and child development. 

Every child in Waltham Forest has a named health visitor, based at your local health centre or GP practice. You can visit them there, or they can sometimes visit you at home.


Find a childcare provider

There are lots of childcare options in Waltham Forest, whether you’re going back to work, looking for a place for your children to play, or need time to study. 

Some people are entitled to free childcare or pre-school education for two, three or four-year olds.


Choose a school or college

Waltham Forest has a wide range of primary and secondary schools and colleges including academy, independent and special schools. 

The standard is generally high, Ofsted has rated 90 per cent of primary schools as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ and 81 per cent of families get into their preferred school.


Careers advice

All young people in England must continue in education, employment or training until they are 18.

You can get careers help and advice from your school or college.

You can also find help from the National Careers Service

If you’re 16 or 17 and not in education, employment or training, there’s help available.


Get help with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) can affect a child or young person’s ability to learn.

For information on how to get support locally, including help with school transport and short breaks for children with disabilities


Access mental health support for children, young people and families

Waltham Forest's Child and Family Consultation Services (CFCS) provide specialist mental health support to children, young people and their families in the borough.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) work closely with CFCS and offer help including family therapy, counselling, and specialist support like psychotherapy and psychiatry. 

Contact the CFCS